TMJ Treatment in San Diego
Great dental care is about more than just your teeth. A good dentist is also skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the mouth and jaw. One common jaw problem is called temporomandibular joint disorder, or TMJ. Enjoy a pain-free life by receiving the best TMJ treatment San Diego has to offer.
What Is TMJ Disorder?
The temporomandibular joint is the hinge-like joint connecting your jawbone to the skull. TMJ disorder is characterized by pain or discomfort in the jaw. Common symptoms include:
- Pain in the jaw
- Aching pain in or around the ear
- Facial pain
- Jawbone making a clicking or grinding noise
- Difficulty chewing food
- Locking of the temporomandibular joint
Several types of problems can lead to TMJ disorders. For example, arthritis may have damaged the cartilage in the joint, or an injury may impact the tissue. Fortunately, most cases of TMJ can be treated non-surgically.
The Best TMJ Treatment in San Diego
Dr. Feinberg has been lauded for providing the best TMJ treatment in San Diego. This is because he begins by listening to patients and performing a careful examination to assess their symptoms. During your appointment, Dr. Feinberg will listen to and feel the motion of your jaw as you open and close your mouth. He may gently press on areas surrounding your jaw to identify the points that cause the most discomfort. Depending on the severity of your TMJ problem, Dr. Feinberg may recommend that you receive X-rays, a CT scan, or an MRI. This can help him determine the extent of the damage.
"I suffered from TMJ headaches for a few years without my doctor handling it. When I went to Dr. Feinberg for the first time he pointed out that I might be suffering from TMJ. He offered a TMJ treatment plan. I was in awe! First doctor to solve my problem. I am so greatful to Dr. Feinberg and his staff! I now tell all my friends that he has the best TMJ treatment in San Diego!"
After a careful assessment of your problem, Dr. Feinberg will work with you to create an effective treatment plan. In many cases, non-surgical treatments can correct the problem. This might include:
- Bite guards. Wearing a device placed over the teeth can reduce pain associated with TMJ disorder.
- Physical therapy. Dr. Feinberg can suggest exercises to stretch the jaw and strengthen jaw muscles. Using these exercises daily can significantly reduce pain.
- Pain relief. Taking over-the-counter pain medication not only reduces pain, but it can also diminish inflammation that may be exacerbating TMJ symptoms.
- Lifestyle changes. Several factors can contribute to TMJ disorder. It’s smart to avoid biting your fingernails or leaning on your chin, which can stress the jaw joint. Additionally, taking precautions to decrease clenching or grinding of teeth can help.
Your life doesn’t have to be controlled by TMJ pain. Schedule your appointment today to find out why Dr. Feinberg provides the best TMJ treatment San Diego has to offer.