Sedation Dentistry in San Diego
Dental anxiety is common, with perhaps 1 in 4 adults suffering from this fear. Unfortunately, too many people allow their fear of dental work to interfere with their oral health. Today, sedation dentistry is a safe and effective option for those who prefer not to be fully alert during their dental work. Visiting Dr. Feinberg, the top provider of sedation dentistry San Diego has to offer, will ensure that you stay safe during the procedure.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry refers to a range of techniques in which a dentist provides medication to help patients relax during their procedure. This can include anything from minimal sedation, in which you are awake but fully relaxed, to general anesthesia, which is typically reserved for more invasive dental procedures.
The most common forms of sedation include:
- Nitrous oxide. Sometimes called “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide is applied through a mask placed over your nose. This gas wears off relatively quickly but helps you relax during the dental procedure. Because nitrous oxide is minimally sedating, you are safe to drive yourself home after your visit.
- Oral sedation. Oral sedation involves taking a pill, such as Halcion (similar to Valium) before the procedure. Although you will be awake, you will be drowsy and may not fully remember the procedure.
- General anesthesia. General anesthesia includes the use of medications that render you totally unconscious. This is typically reserved for surgical procedures and is not used for routine office visits.
"I've had a fear of dentists since I was a child and since avoided dentists like the plague! My mouth was not in great shape. Dr. Feinberg helped me get over that with the best sedation dentistry in San Diego. After 3 visits needing to be sedated to get even the simplest of dental work done, I no longer need to be sedated and now I'm quite comfortable getting work done. I never would have thought this possible. His sedation dentistry method helped me get my oral hygiene back."
The Best San Diego Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry is a safe, compassionate option for those people whose dental anxiety interferes with their ability to visit the dentist. It is suitable for people with the following problems:
- A low pain threshold
- Inability to stay still in the dentist’s chair
- Highly sensitive teeth
- A very sensitive gag reflex
- The need for a large amount of dental work
A good dentist ensures that your visit is comfortable from beginning to end. This includes providing a welcoming office environment, pillows or blankets during your dental procedure, and time to compose yourself after the dental work is complete. Sedation dentistry is just one of an array of ways in which to make your dental visit less anxiety provoking.
One of Dr. Feinberg’s best qualities is his ability to listen to patients’ fears and help them find a solution that works. Our staff members work tirelessly to make each patient feel safe and comfortable. Contact us to learn more about why we’re known as the best providers of sedation dentistry in San Diego.